An integral part of a school’s philosophy and values is Personal, Social and Health Education of every child. Teachers at The British International School in Ukraine aim to equip their students with the knowledge and skills necessary to make safe, informed decisions. Using the skills of working in groups, listening to others, and enabling people to have a voice whether orally or in writing the students develop empathy for others and an understanding of themselves.
Sports at The British International School in Ukraine
In addition to the PE curriculum, The British International School in Ukraine offers a range of extra-curricular sporting activities. These might include football, basketball, tag rugby, gymnastics and athletics. Regular inter-house sporting tournaments are held, as well as matches against other schools in Kiev.
During the 2018/2019 school year students took part in a number of tournaments and competitions:
- Cross Country
- Interschool Football Tournament
- KS2-3 Intra-school Football
- Year 5-6 Nivki Basketball Team Secured Bronze
- Victory for BISU’s Years 7-9 Boys Basketball team
- International Athletics Tournament
- High School Futsal Tournament
Being an international school in Ukraine we are acutely aware of the rich cultural background of our host country. We seek to enrich our understanding of its history and how that is celebrated through regular assemblies and other organised school events. Further to this we ensure our international diversity is explored and developed through events that bring the school together such as the United Nations International Day. Other cultural experiences are shared through the curriculum with the children having the opportunity to talk about their personal cultures with others.
During the 2018/2019 academic year students participated in a range of activities that contributed to their cultural development:
- All-Ukrainian students research competition-Defense of Kiev Small Academy of Sciences
- International Mother Language Day
- Success at “Kolosok Autumn 2018”
- World Book Day At British International School Ukraine
- International day at British International School
- BISU Public Speaking Competition
- Traditional Ukrainian Winter Holidays
Young people at The British International School in Ukraine are given meaningful opportunities to participate in the governance of the school community through serving on the Student Parliament. They will be able to develop their personal styles of leadership, learn to cooperate with others, formulate reasoned arguments and undertake a range of clerical responsibilities. This way they prepare to become active and informed citizens of the International communities in which they live.
Curriculum option lessons
A number of curriculum option lessons are available to students of all ages:
- Debating Club
- All to drama!
- Cartoon Characters Drawing
- Paper Crafts
- Russian Language/Literature
- Cross Sstitch
- Calligraphy & Quotes
- Mysteries of the Past
- Hair braiding
- Book Lovers
- French Club
- Animation Drawing
- Art attack