Keeping children happy and safe online
26 Mar 2020
As your children spend more time at home and are going to be online more than ever, there is a list of easy-to-use resources for online safety activities you can do from home. They are broken up into ages and include quick activities, films and plenty more fun ways to engage your children. From identifying fake news to online bullying – there is plenty for you to use and adapt for your family.
For 3-7 year olds
These resources, in the form of storybooks, look at issues ad scenarios the youngest internet users may face whilst going online.
- The Digiduck storybooks. The Digiduck collection has been created to help parents, carers and teachers educate children about online safety.
- An adventure with Smartie the Penguin is an online safety story.
For 7-11 year olds
These resources are adaptable for use at home with young people and can provide fun and new ways to extend their knowledge about being safe online.
- The children’s activity zone. This is a space designed for 7-11 year olds to help young people discover the best that the internet has to offer.
- The Adventures of Kara, Winston and the SMART Crew. These films illustrate 5 online safety SMART rules.
- Take the online safety quizzes
- Screen Time and Healthy Balance Quick Activities. This resource is a collection of quick activities designed to help children recognise the signs they may experience when they’ve been online too long and the importance of balancing online and offline activities.
For 11-14 year olds
- Secondary pages. There are top tips, blogs and advice to help to use the internet safely, responsibly and positively.
- PSHE Toolkits. A set of practical online safety PSHE toolkits to explore online issues, such as: cyberbullying, peer pressure and self-esteem, healthy relationships and body image.
- Film Competition past entries. A great way for young people to learn about online safety is from their peers, why not encourage them to watch the entries from past years’ Childnet Film Competitions.
For 14-18 year olds
- Secondary pages. There are top tips, blogs and advice to help you to use the internet safely, responsibly and positively.
Based on childnet.com